Sunday 12 January 2020

My packet full of surprises






“Why did you agree to marry me?” I asked. He returns me a quizzical look whenever he wants to overcome controversy. “Oh! Come on. You owe me that much. It was our first anniversary we celebrated half an hour ago,” I flicker some soapy bubbles at him to which he raises his eyebrow. Just like the rock did. Did you smell? Ah, you know the rest! People who could be out of the ordinary always amazed me. I had a friend in my biology class. The girl could bend her fingers 360 degrees. There was one kid in my neighborhood who could move his ears like he was a Martian or something. Weird but it set them apart. A unique thing to possess that nobody else has. At least they had something to impress.
“Do you think I am blind? I still see pretty butterflies lingering around you. Why did you choose a moth then?” I asked him bravely. Not thinking of the consequences, I could face after that. “You are color blind” He answered and dried the last plate with the almost wet cloth. Two drops of water splashed in the already filled sink. I knew what he meant but I just played along, giving him back his quizzical look. Too can play that game. “You remember the first time I saw you.” He said, but I cut him in between. “Yes, in my drawing-room. I was holding a tea tray. Yes, I remember that.” I said tightly closing the tap because of the slight OCD, I inherited from my paternal side.
“No. It was not then. I had researched you before. I looked at your Facebook profile” Wow, I was amazed. “Didn’t know you had the sleuthing skills” I saluted him. “Bravo” “Football was the only reason I came to see you. I thought what the heck. Let’s see how many players does she actually knows” He said.
“I wasn’t even in love with you till our wedding day. I liked you but did not love you. A thing inside me just made me move on. Made me take this leap of faith. You ask me why did I agree. I don’t know, frankly. Nobody forced me into it. There was no pressure” He jerked his muscular shoulders.
By this time, I thought I had asked the wrong question. Did he do it out of depression? Was I still not lovable? What if he finds his love when we are too long down the road? Breath. Relax. Listen. My voice said. “I know you won’t remember but something happened at our wedding that made me stay put and the chain followed” He continued. “I took a spoon full of the Biryani and suddenly you pass me the dessert.” I seriously didn’t remember that so he moved on. “I knew you wouldn’t have remembered it. I was so puzzled. How on earth did she know I had bitten green chili?”. I sat on the stool and he dragged the other one and sat near me.
“The next came a bit more surprising. It was the morning of our wedding day. I was standing in the room and you handed me my phone. How does she know I was looking for my phone? Is she a psychic or something?” I laugh when he says that, the one he loves, the one with flashing my artificial teeth.
He holds my hand and says” You made me fall in love with you without trying. These butterflies show off around me while you silently pray. You curse harshly when a referee doesn’t give a penalty like that, but you hate littering the streets. You listen to all but talk to a few. You forget birthdays, but you know when my meetings are. You are a packet full of surprises” He pinches my nose and wobbles it. “My packet is full of surprises. Because in a room full of people my eyes always look for you” He gave his crooked side smile and went away, leaving me in a trance of awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment